LUMENIER QAV250 G10 REVIEW
The Best FPV 250 Frame Available on the Market in 2016, Period.
The Lumenier QAV250 miniquad FPV drone racer is arguably one of the most recognizable racing drones out there, and now with a G10 variant, you can break into FPV drones in style! We’ll take a closer look at the good and the bad of the Lumenier QAV250 G10 FPV drone racing frame.
To start, the Lumenier QAV250 G10 is just a frame. This means you’ll need to provide all of your own electronics and radio gear to get this drone up in the air and racing, like a radio controller and FPV Drone goggles.
Here’s an idea of what the Lumenier QAV250 will look like fully completed
With these items you’ll be taking a much bigger chunk out of your wallet than you would for a ready to fly or almost ready to fly drone like the Emax NightHawk 280 Pro. However, all of the components we’ve recommended, combined with the Lumenier QAV250 G10 frame will give you a truly top- of- the- line, easily customizable, and hands- on miniquad experience that’s sure to stand up to the rigors of drone racing. Additionally, many of the items we’ve recommended will be compatible with any more drones or model aircraft you might be interested in further down the road. Now let’s get into the pros, cons, and facts of the Lumenier QAV250 G10 FPV drone frame.
LET’S START WITH THE FACTS OF THE LUMENIER QAV250 DRONE
- The Lumenier QAV250 G10 FPV Drone Frame is available from Amazon, pricing from $124.18
- The QAV250 G10 frame offers a lot of durability that will hold up to hard impacts
- As a barebones frame, the QAV250 G10 offers a lot of room for custom build options
- The QAV250 G10 requires all of the necessary drone equipment, including FPV goggles, radio controller, motors, speed controllers, and a flight board to be completed
Before we go into the pros and cons of the Lumenier QAV250 mini racing drone, let’s start out by saying that this definitely isn’t a drone for absolute beginners. The QAV250 will require knowledge of electronics, soldering, radio setup, and some drone flying experience in order to be properly completed, setup, and flown. If you’re interested in getting into FPV drones but you don’t have any experience, check out the Hubsan H107D, or, if you’re looking for more of a racing drone, the Eachine racer 250 drone.
Lumenier QAV250 G10 Review: FRAME QUALITY: 8/10
With thick composite and aluminum construction, the Lumenier QAV250 G10 frame holds up to the rigors of the racecourse better than plastic RTF/ARF drones, but still isn’t quite as strong as pure carbon fiber.
- Thick G10 fiberglass provides lots of durability
- More durable than other RTF/ARF drones like the Walkera Runner 250
- Frame provides motor protection as well as designated spots for gear placement
- Unnecessary drill-outs in the frame reduce durability
- G10 fiberglass is not as strong as the QAV250 carbon fiber version
Lumenier QAV250 G10 Review: EASE OF SETUP: 8/10
While a challenging build for the total novice, experienced drone pilots should have no difficulty assembling the Lumenier QAV250 G10 with all of the required electronic components. While the setup poses little challenge to an intermediate or professional drone pilot, the lack of a recommended parts list can make sourcing the necessary pieces somewhat challenging.
- Designated frame accommodations makes mounting gear easy
- PDB makes for clean wiring
- Standard mounting measurements makes the QAV250 G10 easily customizable
- No basic list of the required components for completion
Lumenier QAV250 G10 Review: EASE OF REPAIR 7/10
While there’s no shortage of replacement parts in the case of frame failure, the Lumenier QAV250 G10 features a unibody bottom plate, meaning that if one arm breaks you’ll have to replace the entire piece. Additionally, breakage or fractures in composite material can’t be glued back to their original strength. The best option after breaking part of the frame is to simply replace the damaged part with a new one.
- Readily available replacement parts
- Standard size tools and fasteners make disassembly and replacement easy
- Unibody bottom plate design means replacing the entire bottom plate if one arm breaks
- Composite material cannot be repaired to original strength after breaking
IS THE LUMENIER QAV250 G10 FOR YOU?
While not a beginner- friendly option, the Lumenier QAV250 G10 is a good frame for an intermediate or professional drone pilot. Offering a recognizable drone form factor in a durable, crash resistant frame material. While not as strong as carbon fiber, the G10 fiberglass frame construction of the Lumenier QAV250 G10 offers a big step up over the plastic construction of entry- level ready to fly or almost ready to fly racing drones. With designated parts on the frame allocated for mounting your components, the Lumenier QAV250 G10 is a good introduction to building your own FPV racing drone, albeit with the learning curve that comes with sourcing and connecting your own parts and electronics. If you have experience in FPV racing drones and you’re looking to move up to more advanced racing drones, the Lumenier QAV250 G10 is the FPV drone for you.
You can find the Lumenier QAV250 G10 FPV mini racing drone available from Amazon. See our list below of this review for components that you’ll need to get the QAV250 racing drone up and flying.