IS IT A BIRD? IS IT A PLANE! NO, IT’S A MINI- HEXACOPTER!
OUR COMPREHENSIVE TBS GEMINI REVIEW
The TBS Gemini mini racing drone by Team BlackSheep isn’t your normal miniquad. In fact, it’s not a quad at all. The Gemini is a six- motor drone called a hexacopter, and it’s truly a one- of- a kind drone for its small size.
Unlike traditional racing FPV drones, the TBS Gemini is a drone that carries a unique look and build, with all the components protected inside of a plastic shell. All of the electronics are mounted onto a strong central frame made from composite materials, with shell options to accommodate an HD recording camera. All in all, the TBS Gemini is an excellently built and designed mini drone perfect for giving you an out of body FPV experience.
LET’S START WITH THE FACTS:
- The TBS Gemini mini FPV drone is $608.97 from Amazon.com
- The TBS Gemini is configured for six motors with 4” propellers
- You will need to provide a compatible radio system and FPV goggle/monitor system to fly the TBS Gemini. We recommend using the ATTITUDE V3 GOGGLES and the FRSKY TARANIS X9D with a D4R-II receiver from Amazon.com
It takes more than just a few specs to make a good machine, so we’ll cover the pros and cons of the main aspects of the TBS Gemini mini FPV drone to help ease the decision of whether or not the TBS Gemini is the drone for you.
TBS GEMINI REVIEW | BUILD QUALITY: 7/10
A masterfully designed and elegantly built racing drone, the TBS Gemini lacks much of the durability expected from a tried and true racer. While the Gemini features a central composite frame, its flexible plastic shell and somewhat flimsy center plate make this mini drone not as crash- friendly as other racing drone options.
- Central composite frame baseplate
- Sleek, clean build
- Central baseplate is drilled out, reducing strength
TBS GEMINI REVIEW | EASE OF REPAIR: 8/10
Relying heavily on a modular component design, you can change out almost any part on the TBS Gemini with ease.
- Magnetic on/off plastic shell gives easy access to internal components
- Modular electronic arrangement makes almost every part of the TBS Gemini easily removable and replaceable
- Many components require no tools to access and/or remove and replace them
- Some replacement parts may be costly, especially if purchasing multiple times due to crash damage
TBS GEMINI REVIEW | EASE OF SETUP: 6/10
Not for the faint of heart, the TBS Gemini will require some skilled drone mojo in order to properly setup. In addition to supplying the necessary radio gear to make the Gemini a flight worthy FPV drone, you’ll need to configure the parameters and tuning settings on the Gemini’s internal flight controller, making this mini drone a bit of a handful for a beginner.
- Adjustable flight controller lets you adjust tuning and flight modes to your preference.
- High skill level necessary to complete software setup
- TBS proprietary flight controller software may be difficult even for professional drone pilots.
- Main flight camera angle not adjustable
TBS GEMINI REVIEW | FLYING EXPERIENCE: 8/10
Depending on how you set it up, the TBS Gemini mini FPV drone can be a lock in, snappy, and super responsive hexacopter that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Offering an experience much different than a normal racing drone, the TBS Gemini flying experience can only be described as an FPV miniquad x2.
- Manual tuning allows for personal preference tuning and flight modes
- Very locked in and responsive
- Six motor configuration provide lots of throttle
- Flight experience can vary depending on flight controller settings
PILOT SKILL LEVEL: INTERMEDIATE to PROFESSIONAL
In the right hands, the TBS Gemini will be one of the most locked in and unique mini drones a pilot will ever fly. However, due to its complicated setup and poor crash resilience, the TBS Gemini is better suited for pilots who have mastered the basics of FPV drone flying and are looking to expand their horizons.
IS THE TBS GEMINI THE FPV DRONE FOR YOU?
Overall, the TBS Gemini is a unique drone unlike anything you’ve seen or flown before. While definitely not for beginners, this action- packed mini hexacopter gives a locked in, snappy experience for skilled FPV pilots.
By far the most defining feature of the TBS Gemini is how abnormal it looks. With the sleek unibody design, with no loose wiring, the Gemini looks nothing like a traditional FPV drone. If you’re a drone pilot who’s familiar with FPV miniquads, the TBS Gemini is the perfect way to shake up your drone experience in a tiny form factor.
With its modular component design, the TBS Gemini also lends itself to easy modification and repair, and the different body cover options give you enough room to mount an HD recording camera to capture your most epic FPV moments in high definition.
You can find the TBS Gemini available from Amazon here: