A lot has been said about drones, and while much of it is true, it has barely scratched the surface when it comes to expounding on the potential benefits and technological advancements.
For instance, the hexacopter was born out of efforts to improve stability and increase the payload. It is also progressively taking over the drone market with its neat and versatile features.
By looking at the number of options in the market, it is quite clear that choosing a hexacopter is not an easy task. For example, some brands may skimp on quality in favor of a low price. Further, with other brands, you could end up with an overpriced item.
In this review, we look at different types of hexacopter drones to make it easy for you to choose the best.
Hexacopter Drones FAQs
It is hard to find information that speaks to you when looking for the best hexacopter. Sometimes all you need is a simple guide and not a degree in drones. Here are some frequently asked questions, minus the tech jargon, to break down the essential bits.
1. What Is a Hexacopter?
In the eyes of many people, there is not much difference in drones. However, there are stark differences in how they work. The most common drone is the quadcopter, running on 4 propellers. On the other hand, a hexacopter drone runs on 6 propellers.
2. What Does a Hexacopter Do?
Drones have become extremely useful in various fields. They have been used to make blockbuster movies and scout around hostile grounds. However, a hexacopter can also be used for recreational sports.
3. How Does a Hexacopter Work?
Hexacopters consist of speed controllers, a flight controller, a power distribution board, a power source, and motor. The flight controller controls every activity of the drone. Furthermore, other sensors are available to ensure that the drone remains stable while the electronic speed controllers control the spinning of the motors.
4. Where Can You Buy it/Them?
You can find a hexacopter that falls within your budget from an online store like Amazon.
5. How Do I Pick the Right One?
Not only should the price be right, but it should also look right, fly right, and meet your needs. If you are new to flying, do you need all those features? And can you afford them? If you are a professional, you need to know whether the features will help you deliver your best work.
How We Reviewed
Different aspects control how a hexacopter performs. This review focused on some of the elements that distinguish different types of hexacopter brands such as the price, flight duration, and overall features. Then, we also looked at the pros and cons of each product. That was all to ensure that you find it simple to make an informed decision.
Overall Price Range of This Product (and Similar Products)
A hexacopter with a low price will always lack some of the most impressive features. The price of premium models is very costly. So, a higher price, assures you a drone featuring the latest flying technologies and quality construction.
What We Reviewed
Here is a list of the best hexacopter drones we reviewed.
No products found.
No products found.
The Top Race hexacopter is one of the cheapest drones that you will find. It is uniquely designed to look like an object from outer space. The only thing that the drone can do beyond the ordinary is the 3D flip. It charges from a USB port and comes with a non-detachable battery.
- No assembly needed
- Great for kids and beginners
- Quick charge times
- Extremely affordable
- Very basic design
- Some parts are too flimsy
The Wltoys V323 is a great option for anyone learning the basics of flying a camera drone. The included camera is a little underwhelming, but you can switch it with a better one. You will find all the parts already put together so you can fly your drone immediately.
The design can make it hard to differentiate the front from the back while in flight. However, switching on an LED light will guide you in the dark.
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Good flight stability
- Guiding lights in low light situations
- Removable camera
- Great stabilization
- The image quality on the camera is bad
- No gimbal included
- Not suited for pro flyers
- Product size: 38.5*42.5*6cm. Charging time is about 90-120 minutes while flight duration is about 7-9 minutes.
- 4 channels function provide stable flying and easy operation.
- 6-axis gyro with posture control - Integrated design guarantee the precise positioning of the aircraft. Strong wind and...
The X600 will let you do a few flying tricks such as the round flip. For a low budget drone, you should not be surprised to find a few advanced features like the return home button. It also includes the headless mode to help with orientation. The remote control will give you 125 meters of coverage.
It is an excellent choice for those who are still trying to figure out what to do with a drone. The controller comes with easy-to-use controls.
- Ideal for beginners
- Removable battery
- Budget price
- No camera included
- Limited flying time
- 720P HD Camera - Equipped with 2MP HD camera that takes high quality photos and videos. Video DPI is 1280x720P/30FPS and...
- UFO Design - Adopts UFO design which also keep performs as highly as other drones, offers more protection to the blades...
- Headless Mode - In headless mode, there is no need to worry about the directions of the drone during flight, makes the...
The U845 Voyager is probably the only real UFO drone going by the flying saucer design. It is equipped with 6 propellers for extra stability. It comes with an HD camera rated at 720 pixels and WiFi connectivity for image transmission.
The price is a good steal considering some of the cool features like the camera, return home function, and the headless mode. Newbies will love the drone while professionals can use it as an emergency substitute.
- Works with mobile apps
- HD camera included
- Affordably priced
- Stylish design
- Limited transmission range
- Very long charging period
The X800 can do 3D stunts, run at three different speeds, and respond to orientation. The controller uses radio technology to communicate with the drone at the 2.4 GHz frequency. It is not built for heavy lifting even though you can mount a small WiFi camera. The toy-like controls make it easy to operate.
- Long-range control
- LED guide lights
- Beginner’s gravity mode assistance
- Lightweight and portable
- Limited controls
- The small size limits outdoor use
- Includes DevoF12E FPV Transmitter
- Pro Level 3 Axis Gimbal w/iLook+ HD Camera
- GPS Position Hold
The H500 from Walkera is a solid entry-level hexacopter for anyone venturing into aerial photography and video. A brushless gimbal helps to provide stability during the shooting and recording. It includes a standard iLook camera for clear image and video shots. The H500 drone is built for heaving lifting; the drone can fly a maximum of 25 minutes when fully loaded.
It is an excellent choice for all skill levels and a nice alternative for professionals with a tight budget.
- It comes ready to fly
- Great flight duration
- Amazing aerial stability
- Beautiful design
- Expensive batteries
- Better alternatives available at a lower price
- This version bundles the S900 air frame with the A2 flight controller and your choice of Z15 Gimbals.
- Lightweight materials such as a sturdy carbon fiber frame make flights more enjoyable by lasting longer
- New and improved motors makes for a much more reliable flight. Spark proof plug will prevent short circuits when you...
The S900 follows an impressive line of professional-grade drones from DJI. It can easily hold 10 lbs of recording equipment. You can pack more accessories on the drone by removing the centerboard at the top. DJI’s are always worth looking into because of enhanced tech like enhanced power distribution to create a more reliable flight.
DJI S900 is suitable for pro and advanced drone users. With such astonishing features, you will not be surprised to find another DJI on our shortlist.
- Can use third-party cameras
- Folding arms and landing gear
- Great flight duration with a heavy load
- It is very pricey
- Not ideal for new users
- DJI Matrice 600 Pro Hexacopter - Aircraft Body (with Arm Sleeves) - 2x Landing Gear Leg - 2x Landing Skid - 2x Spring -...
- Aircraft: Diagonal Wheelbase: 1133mm (44.61")
- Aircraft: Max Takeoff Weight Recommended: 15.5kg (34.17lbs)
The DJI Matrice 600 is a heavy lifter that can handle a maximum payload of 13 lbs on a flight. The tech on this beast is on a completely new level; the flight controls can be programmed to run different functions such as live video streaming and mapping survey. The transmission technology allows it to relay high-resolution video at incredible speeds.
- Great flight performance
- Smart power management
- Multiple camera choices
- It can carry heavy loads
- Very restrictive pricing
- Too technical for average users
- Aerial Shooting with Panasonic GH4
- Carbon Fiber Frame
- Retractable Landing Gear
The Tornado H920 comes in a handy package weighing less than 11 lbs. Even with that, the drone can do some heavy lifting like carrying a professional-grade camera for aerial shooting. It is equipped with a gimbal to hold and stabilize the camera while in flight. The carbon fiber used on the body makes it rigid and stylish.
The drone includes some smart features such as a return home button, an orbit mode, and different shooting options for the camera. We would not recommend this drone if you are a newbie unless you do not mind paying a premium for some high-end features.
- Powerful drone for photography and videography
- Folds to compact travel size
- High-quality design and attractive body
- Smart GPS function
- Very expensive
- Not suitable for inexperienced users
- READY OUT OF THE BOX - Comes with the new ST16 Pro all-in-one controller (no need for a separate phone / tablet),...
- SAFE TO FLY WITH BUILT-IN COLLISION AVOIDANCE - FAA compliant no-fly zone, 6 rotor safety with 5 rotor fail-safe, and...
- EASY TO FLY - GPS stabilized flight control, with 8 smart flight modes, automatic return to home, auto takeoff and auto...
Equipped with a camera that can take high-resolution images, this is one of the best hexacopters for video and photography. You can watch everything from the 7-inch screen on the ST16 controller pad. It comes with in-built sensors that make it avoid flying into obstacles. The batter offers around 25 minutes of flight time.
Both newbies and experts can find it easy to use this drone since it comes in a ready-to-fly package. If you are a professional photographer, you will love the camera for it can take images in JPEG and RAW formats.
- Includes high-resolution camera
- Inbuilt flying sensors
- Easy to use
- An integrated display on the controller
- Folds into a portable size
- Sensors not effective at high speeds
- The battery takes too long to charge
As a newbie, you do not have to go for the most advanced hexacopter on the list. A basic model will help with practice and give you a better idea of what features to look out for when you upgrade. We would make the U845 Voyager our choice for beginners. It is user-friendly, and the price resonates with the existing features.
Don’t forget to look into registration and license needs for your pick.
The Yuneec Typhoon H Pro is the best hexacopter on our list. It is lightweight, portable, and user-friendly. You will also get some neat features to help you with your hobbies or professional work. It gets our top marks for quality, value, and versatility.
Last update on 2021-06-12 at 17:16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API